Monday, June 30, 2008

Last moments in Madrid

I have mixed feelings about leaving. I'm tired, I've gone out every night this week and am sleep deprived. I am sad to leave my friends, terrified of how I'm going to feel when it really hits me that I can't jump on the metro and go to Aluche.

I have only had bad interactions with Spaniards in the last couple of days. I shared an elevator with our new neighbors last night and instead of introducing themselves they demanded to know if I was a smoker. She's pregnant. What a lovely goodbye for me, being accused of killing an unborn baby in the last civilized country to allow smoking in public. Seriously, you can't even smoke in the bars in Amsterdam anymore! The fact that they pardoned me was no consolation.

That has been the worst thing-I feel like this city is kicking me out. I was literally woken up by the roommate who will take my place this morning. I'm sitting on the couch with my luggage. I keep trying to figure out what the one thing is I want to spend my last 20 minutes doing, and all I can think about is taking a nap.

Giessen, I hope you are sympathetic.

2 comments:

Hoi Polloi said...

Hey, babe. I've been there a few times. Most recently with my return trip home. I almost feel like asking myself the question, "Is this the life I want?" So absurd, but feels so real.

Anna said...

i heard about the whole kicking you out of bed thing. i'm sorry friend. what a sore way to leave.

i hope you are thoroughly enjoying germany.

p.s. how did florian like his foto album?!?!

p.s.s. did you know florian made one for roberto? lol. it's freaking adorable. did you have any part in that?