Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Una amistad hecho por los cielos

I feel like things are finally starting to calm down and even out in my life. A huge weight has been lifted by buying a ticket home for Christmas. Before I was so consumed by the limitations of money and the ridiculous idea that I had to tough it out for the year. I think part of me thought I would be giving up by going home (even if it was just for a few weeks). Then I started to think about what my sister would do and I realized that, no questions asked, she would have already bought the ticket. Sometimes I try to live by unnecessary rules I have made up for myself. It is good that I have let this one go. I feel like a weight has been lifted.

Aside from the wonderful Christmas to come, I finally have a job here. God pretty much just threw that one at me-I didn't even try. Twice every week I go out for coffee with Antonio, from Rome, and we talk for an hour and a half. He pays for my drink and gives me 12 euros. It is a sweet deal.

Thirdly, I am finally feel a sense of community here. Today I sat outside my Facultad with Jesús. I drank my mint tea and watched the wind blow the leaves off the trees (Fall finally found Madrid!). He smoked his Marlboros and played Justice for me on his MP3 player in classic Spanish style, us sharing the headphones.

Tonight I met a group of friends at Boñar de León, a bar I like for the free food, though Adam informed me the food was "de mierda". A mi, me da igual. But we sat around and finalized Christmas and New Year's party plans and drank wine and ate paella. Then John, Vincent, Anna and I hung out at my apartment listening to Simon and Garfunkle before going to El Junco where Vincent played his saxaphone and Anna and John sat in the back room. This jazz club is so...jazzy. There are black leather couches and the whole room is full of smoke. Everything about the place screams cool. Vincent and I stood watching the seven other saxaphone players take turns on stage and I realized that these songs I am learning at El Junco will forever remind me of Madrid. And I will have happy memories of this city.

Besos!

2 comments:

Anna said...

what does that mean again? un amistad hecho por los cielos?

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here on a comfy couch, dreaming about Madrid, wishing I could be elsewhere other than drab, cold, rainy old Pittsburgh...
You're living a sweet life, dear.