Thursday, December 13, 2007

José

I have only really met one of my neighbors. His name is either José or Joseph, he never introduced himself. I'm going to go with José since that is a Spanish name. So, José is older and lives by himself. Dawn has these crazy stories about him showing her the pheasants he cooks. The weirdest story she has involves him showing her his new shower. That all said, the only thing he's ever showed me is his nativity scene-he is totally harmless. He always mentions how he lives alone. Anyway, after he showed me his nativity set I thought I'd like to do something for him. He seems like a cool guy and I welcome any Spanish friend.

So, I made a ton of food the other night for John & Vincent's Christmas party. I saved back a few lemon bars and a cookie for my neighbor. Then today I made snow slugs, a Shearrer favorite. Before I left I devised exit strategies with my roommate (I have cookies in the oven!).

José invited me in and took me into his kitchen. This is where I got confused. He took a bottle of maple syrup out of his fridge and showed me how the fridge was a General Electric fridge from the USA. Then he said something about "brujas" (witches) and waved the syrup bottle around for emphasis. Then he let me leave. He was talking a mile a minute with a huge grin on his face. I really have no idea what he said. Before I left he asked me if he had shown me his nativity set and then thanked me for the cookies.

Hey, Feliz Navidad.

No comments: