Saturday, December 22, 2007

The reason I was homesick

I grew up in Columbia, Missouri. It was always a source of pride to me that I was born in Tacoma, Washington-it meant I was a little bit cooler than the rest of Central Missouri. But I would never tell someone I was from the Pacific Northwest anymore.

Lee Elementary school made me culturally aware to things other than the Spice Girls. Then there was a dry spell where I grew up and tried to fight off suburban white culture. I escaped and ended up back on Paquin, living behind Lee Elementary. I worked at a coffee shop and regained that pride. But now I was proud of being from Columbia. Every detail of downtown life felt cool. I refused to call it "The District." I made a point of only shopping local. My bike was my favorite possession. I relished the fact that I could have no plans on a Friday afternoon, but be at THE party by Friday night.

I left all this-a community that took me 18 years to find-for Spain. And was surprised when I didn't find a great coffee shop in four months? It will take time to have such a rich life in Madrid, and it may be that instead of having a regular bar and a predictable party, I experience life by wandering a bit.

I am glad I'm going back to Madrid because I think I can do it better than I have been. I can do it with more fervor, creativity and inquisition! But for the next week, I am enjoying how great it is to have a place where everybody knows your name.

Columbia things I am really excited about!:
1. Our beloved theater Ragtag is finally moving.
2. The amazing downtown community is once again buzzing about the True/False film festival. Columbia: Go! See a documentary! It is the best weekend of the year.
3. The Missouri Theater is expanding. I am torn-upset to lose the charming but crumbling old building, but hopeful that they will do the new place up right.
4. All of my friends seem full of ideas-most are going off to study abroad, the rest seem to be planning escapes to bigger and better lives. My heart is bursting with their excitement.
5. The fact that this still exists-and it was featured in the worst magazine in Columbia! Thanks to the J-school, my town is very well-documented, so believe me when I say this publication sucks. My friend Kyle says the articles are mostly on etiquette for Republican fondue parties and how to make your house bigger. With stories like that, a feature on MSR3000 is especially sweet. I'll leave the magazine unnamed, but you should all check out Kyle & Tony's 2AM radio show on KOPN.
6. Snow.
7. Mike the carpenter, who sits outside Ragtag everyday full of stories about growing up in the Haight-Ashbury district and hitch-hiking through Europe.

If you are bored in Columbia, please take a stroll downtown. There is life on those streets and passion in every single coffee shop on 9th St. Considering there are like 17, there's probably enough passion to go around.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: